Questions To Ask Before Shoulder Surgery
Here's a list of questions that may be helpful to ask your doctor before your shoulder surgery. We suggest you print this list and take it with you on your appointment.
- What complications may occur with this kind of surgery?
- What is the expected recovery time?
- How many days will I be in the hospital after surgery?
- Will I have physical therapy? If so, how often and for how long?
- Will I need full-time or part-time care? If so, for how long?
- When can I lie on the operative side?
- When can I shower after surgery?
- How soon will I be able to resume normal lifestyle activities (i.e., work, sports, housework, gardening, etc.)?
- Which sports may I participate in?
- What are lifting limits?
- When is sexual intercourse feasible after surgery?
- Will I set off the metal detectors at the airport?
- Will I need antibiotics for dental care?
- What is the implant made of? Which biomaterials will be used?
- In your estimate, how long will my joint replacement last?
- What can I do to help keep my joint replacement functioning as long as possible?
- What activities or other factors could make my joint replacement wear out more quickly, and what can I do to avoid them?